Blog

Pet Safety Tips for Valentine’s Day

In just two short weeks, Valentine’s Day will be upon us. Will your pet be included in the festivities? Use these tips from a Portland, OR vet to keep your four-legged companion safe and sound this holiday.

Careful with Candles

If you plan on lighting candles to set a romantic holiday mood, do so carefully. Pets and candles tend not to mix—for one, it’s very easy for pets to swipe a tail or paw through an open flame, potentially causing burns. More likely, a pet can knock over a candle, spilling hot wax and maybe even starting a fire! Place candles where pets aren’t likely to reach them.

Avoid Chocolate and Candy

Chocolate, as most pet owners already know, is very bad for our animal friends. Chocolate of all types contains varying levels of theobromine and caffeine, chemicals that pets react badly to. Without treatment, a pet will experience vomiting, diarrhea, and worse. Keep all chocolate goodies far out of your pet’s reach.

Candy is also dangerous for pets, as many are sweetened with xylitol, a sugar substitute that is toxic to animals. Don’t leave any Valentine’s Day candies out on countertops or tables where pets may be able to gain access, especially if your pet is the curious type.

Alcohol Awareness

Will your Valentine’s Day celebrations include alcoholic beverages? Remember that alcohol of all types—liquor, wine, beer, champagne, even some foods cooked with alcohol—can harm pets very easily. The fact is, alcohol affects animals the same way it affects us. Pets, however, can only ingest small amounts before they start to experience vomiting, diarrhea, depression, coma, and even death without treatment. Keep a close eye on all alcohol this Valentine’s Day, and don’t leave your drinks within reach of your pet.

Poisonous Plant Life

Have you received a festive bouquet this holiday? Check through it for any lily flowers, which are very toxic to our feline friends and may harm dogs as well. Also take care if you’re sending a holiday bouquet to a loved one or friend with a pet.

Roses, while not poisonous, should also be treated with caution. The sharp thorns on rose stems can cut a pet’s mouth or puncture the intestinal lining if swallowed, so keep these out of your pet’s grasp.

Would you like more great tips for keeping your pet safe on Valentine’s Day? Call your Portland, OR vet.

Comments are closed.

Website Designed & Developed by DVMelite | All Rights Reserved | Login

Facebook

YouTube