Call Us! Button

Request an Appointment Button

How to Keep Your Pet Safe on Halloween
October 15, 2019

Are you thinking of including your dog or cat in the Halloween festivities this year? Halloween and trick-or-treat season can prove to be a dangerous time of year for our four-legged friends, so use the following tips from your Portland, OR animal hospital to keep your pet safe.

Treat Trouble

Halloween and trick-or-treat night are synonymous with tasty treats, and it’s all bad news for pets. Chocolate of all types—dark, milk, white, powdered, even baking chocolate—contains caffeine and theobromine, chemicals that can poison pets easily. Many candies, as well as gum, toothpaste, and other products, can be sweetened with xylitol, an artificial sugar that can poison pets in very small amounts. Keep a close eye on the treat bowl during trick-or-treat night, and store all leftover sweets in cabinets or containers where pets can’t gain access.

Costume Hazards

Dressing your pet up in their very own Halloween costume sure is cute. Your pet will definitely look adorable, but make sure they stay comfortable and safe. Pets can become stressed out and anxious when wearing clothing that fits too tightly or loosely, so you’ll want to make sure the costume is a proper fit before the big night. Give your pet’s costume a thorough check for small parts, like zippers or buttons, that could be choked on or swallowed.

Anxiety and Escape

For some pets, trick-or-treat night is downright anxiety-inducing. When the doorbell rings constantly thanks to trick-or-treaters, pets can become overly excited or anxious. When the front door opens, your anxiety-ridden companion might decide to dart out into the night and escape! If necessary, secure anxious pets in another room for the duration of the evening. It’s also important to make sure your pet is wearing ID tags on the collar, a microchip, or both at the same time.

Decoration Dangers

Tape down electrical cords running from wall outlets to Halloween decorations, like jack-o-lanterns or plastic ghosts and witches, so that pets can’t chew on the wiring. Also, keep an eye on autumnal plants such as pumpkins, gourds, and fall corn. These items aren’t necessarily toxic to pets, but ingesting a lot of any foreign substance can make a pet sick. They might also cause choking!

Are you wondering about other ways to keep your beloved companion safe and happy during Halloween season and on trick-or-treat night? Contact your Portland, OR vet clinic. We’re always here to help!

  • All
  • Uncategorized